Monday, November 5, 2012

Wild Rice and Chicken (or Turkey) Soup

The first time I made this soup for my family, my kids told me that it looked like vomit, but that it tasted good.  I was offended and pleased at the same time.  I hope your family likes this soup.  FYI...I double this recipe to feed my village of 8.

What you'll need:

*1 6.2-ounce package quick-cooking long grain and wild rice mix
*2 TBSP butter or margarine
*4 oz. mushrooms, stems removed and sliced (about 1.5 cups)
*2 stalks celery, sliced (1 cup)
*2 14-ounce cans chicken broth
*1/4 tsp. black pepper
*2 cups chopped, cooked chicken or turkey
*1 cup whipping cream

What you'll do:

1.  Prepare the rice (using the seasoning packet) according to package directions.  Omit the butter it calls for.

2.  In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.  Add the mushrooms and celery.  Cook for about 5 minutes, or until the veggies are almost tender and most of the mushroom liquid has evaporated; stir occasionally.  Add broth and pepper.  Bring to a boil; then reduce heat.  Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes.  Stir in the rice, chicken (or turkey), and cream.  Heat through.


No comments:

Post a Comment